Where there is no suitable power of attorney and incapacity means that a person is unable to look after their own money and affairs, it can be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order.

After the order is granted, the deputy has the legal power to deal with financial and legal matters for the person concerned. The procedure requires a detailed summary of the person’s assets, information about their personal circumstances and a medical report completed by a GP or someone similar confirming the medical condition.

For many people, dealing with a deputyship can be a difficult experience when already faced with a member of the family requiring care; we can look after the paperwork for you and make sure everything is fully explained.